Thank you for your interest in joining the Abraham Joshua Heschel School. Below is a list of our open positions. Please click on the link to find out more about the position and how to apply.
Heschel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Administrative Assistant to the Lower School and Lower School Head
- Middle School Computer Science Teacher
- Middle School Limudei Kodesh Teacher
- Middle School Judaic Studies Learning Specialist
- Database Administrator
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School has an opening for an Administrative Assistant to the Lower School and Lower School Head to begin in Spring 2019.
In addition to providing administrative support and calendar management to the Lower School Head, the Administrative Assistant will interface with teachers, the Assistant Lower School Head, Lower School School Psychologist, Student Support Coordinator and all departments of the school including Judaic Studies, Admissions, the Business Office, Human Resources, The Maintenance Department, Technology and the Main Office.
The ideal candidate should have the following:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to multitask
Success in handling a busy office
Comfort in interacting with children
Salary commensurate with prior relevant work history and skills.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to lsadminassistantsearch@
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is currently seeking a Computer Science Teacher for the 2019-20 school year. The Computer Science teacher will teach computer science, coding, and robotics/engineering to students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, teaching computer programming electives, and serving as a member of the school's science faculty. The position is at least 30 hours per week, with some flexibility in the hours. Applicants must have knowledge of computer programming and experience working with students.
To apply, send your letter of interest and resume to Lori Skopp at email@example.com.
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School of Manhattan is seeking a full time Middle School Limudei Kodesh teacher for grades 6-8 for 2019-20. This position includes the teaching of Chumash, Nevi'im Rishonim and Torah She'be'al Peh as well as Tefillah responsibilities (daily Tefillah and Tefillah education).
Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree and at least two years experience teaching Limudei Kodesh, and preferably professional training and graduate education in teaching as well. They must also have the ability to teach in Hebrew. Preference will be given to candidates who have taught students of all levels and abilities and with different learning styles. Candidates should enjoy the process of teamwork to develop curriculum and to plan special events, and be committed to paying individual attention to students.
Please send your resume with a cover letter or email explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to Rabbi Jack Nahmod, Middle School Judaic Studies Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Heschel School of Manhattan is seeking a full time Middle School Judaic Studies Learning Specialist for grades 6-8 for 2019-20. This position includes the direct instruction, remediation and enrichment of Ivrit and Limudei Kodesh, as well as support for Hebrew speakers in their general studies classes. Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree and some combination of the following professional experiences: classroom teaching; teaching as a learning specialist; teaching Hebrew as a second language; and providing support for ESL students. Preference will be given to candidates who have taught students of all levels and abilities and with different learning styles. Candidates should enjoy the process of teamwork to develop curriculum and to plan special events, and be committed to paying individual attention to students.
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is a dual curriculum N-12 Jewish community school with families from a range of backgrounds, practices and beliefs. We are pluralistic and deeply value openness to a diversity of opinions. Applicants are expected to be passionate about Judaic studies as well as fostering among our diverse student body a strong connection with the Hebrew language and our sacred texts.
Please send your resume with a cover letter or email explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to Rabbi Jack Nahmod, Middle School Judaic Studies Head, at email@example.com.
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School has an opening for a full-time Database Administrator. Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Database Administrator is responsible for storing, organizing, presenting, using, and analyzing data and database management software, such as the student information system (SIS) and learning management system (LMS). This position supports multiple systems, divisions, and offices.
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School, located in New York City, is an independent Jewish school, N-12, unaffiliated with any single movement or synagogue. The school's approach to education is governed by profound respect for children. It nurtures their curiosity, cultivates their imagination, encourages creative expression, values their initiative, and engenders critical thinking skills. The Heschel School is dedicated to inspiring its graduates to become responsible adults and active, compassionate citizens of the Jewish world and world communities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and support SIS, LMS, and other data systems
- Develop and integrate new data systems and functionality
- Keep systems running, coordinate all updates
- Main contact with and for SIS and LMS
- Responsible for new student enrollment system within SIS
- Manage ERB data processing
- Manage class and grade list PDF generation and publishing
- Publish report cards, progress reports, class lists, and other documents as needed
- Yearly Rollover / End of Year Process / Beginning of Year Process
- Train, support, and troubleshoot database issues for school staff
- Coordinate and oversee distribution of My BackPack login information and responsible for parent User IDs, passwords, and access codes
- Work to improve use of data collected to streamline, and automate processes
- Develop and revise documentation for processes and procedures, standards, and guidelines relating to schools' databases
- Understand, and apply, system wide workflow and processes as well as relationships with other internal and external databases
- Audit data on a schedule to maintain security and integrity
- Perform troubleshooting as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Be flexible with weekly schedule, which may include working evenings and/or weekends
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's degree in database administration or related field
- Experience in database or records management in non-profit, education or corporate setting, preferably in a school
- Experience working in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- A passion for improving efficiencies related to data collection and analysis
- Knowledge of SQL, scripting
- Senior Systems experience is preferred
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter and relevant documents via https://workforcenow.adp.com/
The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.