NYC Public School Busing
Eligible Students: PK - Grade 6
For Divisions: Early Childhood, Lower School and part of Middle School
Busing is offered by the New York City Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT), which oversees busing for the public schools and some independent schools.
Busing is available to students who live a certain distance from Heschel. (Eligibility Chart). Eligibility is determined by OPT, using only the student’s home address. Business addresses may not be used for eligibility:
Grades K - 2- eligible for free transportation if they reside ½ mile or more from their school.
Grades 3 – 6- eligible for free transportation if they reside one mile or more from their school.
Grades 7 – 12- eligible for free fare privileges on public transit facilities if they reside 1 1/2 miles or more from school.
Students may only begin to ride the bus when they have turned five years old. Pre-Kindergarten students may only ride the bus if they have turned five years old by December 31st of the current school year.
Age Factor: Please know that, as a student gets older, there may be changes to eligibility, based on OPT calculations.
Busing is only available in the mornings for arrival, and in the afternoon for dismissal. There is no busing available after the After School program.
- Eligible Students: K - Grade 12 (For Divisions: Early Childhood, Lower School, Middle School and High School)
- MetroCards are available to students in Grades Kindergarten through 12 pending eligibility determined by OPT.
- MetroCards are only available to students who live in the five boroughs.
- Students may only receive a MetroCard or bus service. They cannot use both services.
Private School Busing to/from New Jersey
- Eligible Students: Grades 9-12 (For Divisions: High School only)
- The New Jersey buses are contracted with Rainbow Transportation Inc.
- The New Jersey bus is available to High School students who live in Northern New Jersey.
- Busing service is door to door.
There is a yearly fee for the five days per week round trip.